Community extension program assistance
The VSTWP Community Extension Program seeks to support communities to reduce the impact of serrated tussock (Nassella trichotoma) on agricultural, environmental and social values.
The program aims to tailor extension services to local attributes, level of community support and the density of the infestation. Below is a summary of the program and outlines how to apply for VSTWP extension support.
VSTWP Extension Categories
Surveillance and extension
Supports communities that have relatively low levels of serrated tussock or are at risk of infestation. VSTWP to lead delivery of targeted community awareness and education program to increase the community’s ability to identify and manage serrated tussock:
- Deliver one season of surveillance and extension on all properties in the project area.
- Liaise with Local Government, Crown Land Managers Linear reserve managers.
- All infestations identified are to be referred to Agriculture Victoria for ongoing surveillance.
- Media release in local papers.
- Provide with landowner signs for promotion.
Education resources and grants
Support communities that have medium to high levels of serrated tussock and medium to low assets and values. VSTWP to facilitate community awareness and education programs which increase the community’s ability to identify and manage serrated tussock including:
- A grant to deliver a best practice field day, along with educational material, promotion through the VSTWP and guidelines for running the event.
- Provide exemplary landowners with fence signs to promote best practice.
Support communities that have medium to high levels of serrated tussock as well as high agricultural, social or environmental values. VSTWP to lead delivery of targeted community awareness and education program to increase the community’s ability to identify and manage serrated tussock:
- Ensure community commitment and support for the project.
- Delivery of at least two seasons of extension (up to three inspections) by a VSTWP Extension Officer.
- Properties will be referral to DEDJTR for compliance support according to:
- the Voluntary Compliance Assessment process, and;
- where the level of community support remains high, and;
- Where the VSTWP Extension Officer has effectively delivered the contractual requirements.
- Extension projects will be reassessed at the end of the first season to ensure extension and compliance referral is the most appropriate option.
- Following this program a local lead agency is responsible for maintaining action and support for the project through annual monitoring and extension efforts. Where a new or existing landowner is found to fall behind in their obligation to manage serrated tussock, after exhausting all efforts, the local lead agency may request further VSTWP extension assistance for one or two properties within the area.
Please see the attached document that outlines the guidelines and applications forms required to apply for this support.
Download STWP Community Assistance Program – Guidelines & Application