Request for Quotation: Serrated Tussock Extension Officer
About the role
The VSTWP seeks to engage a service provider/contractor with proven skills and experience in the provision of extension (educational) services for noxious weeds. The service provider will deliver extension services to land managers within a defined project area, to raise awareness, promote best practice, and encourage the voluntarily management of serrated tussock (Nassella trichotoma). The service provider will work closely with Landcare groups, local government, and other agencies to promote a cross-tenure approach to serrated tussock management.
Summary of Services to be Provided
- Engage all land managers in the extension area through an introductory letter, extension material, property visits, and phone calls.
- Develop one media release at the start of the project, and one local success story near completion of the project.
- Engage with stakeholders to communicate key messages and effectively work towards a common outcome.
- Deliver a field day to launch the project, raise awareness, promote best practice management.
- Deliver extension services and conduct property assessments with the land managers in the extension area, including:
- Map serrated tussock.
- Take before and after photographs.
- Provide property management plans where requested or appropriate.
- Record details of property inspections.
- Provide follow-up visits for all properties where serrated tussock is found, to determine the extent of control works.
- Present project findings at the VSTWP general meeting.
- Provide two summary reports and a final report, along with the reporting spreadsheet, infestations shapefiles, and photographs.
- Have an Australian Business Number (ABN).
- Hold a current driver’s licence and a vehicle. A diesel four-wheel drive is preferable.
- A computer, mobile telephone and camera, and cover all associated costs of their operation.
- Provide proof of current professional indemnity of at least $1 million and public liability insurance of at least $10 million.
Extension Areas Details
Timeframe for delivery: 1 September 2022 – 31 August 2023.
Location: Barunah Plains South, see attachement.
Size: 15,435 hectares.
Number of properties: 92.
Resources and Guidance for the Service Provider
The service provider will be provided with the following resources and support:
Standard Operating Procedure for VSTWP Extension Officers (attached).
- Map of extension area.
- Reporting spreadsheet and property addresses.
- Template introductory letter, media release and property management plan.
- Hard copies of relevant serrated tussock extension material.
- Contact details for key stakeholders.
- Uniform, name badge and business cards.
- Guidance from an existing VSTWP Extension Officer for the deliverables and the initial property visits.
- The VSTWP Executive Officer will provide advice for the assessment of voluntary compliance.
Specific Health and Safety Requirements
The VSTWP is committed to protecting the health, safety and well-being of its employees and contractors. To achieve this, the VSTWP strives to ensure that employees and contractors are not permitted to undertake work for which they are not suited and to take appropriate measures to allow work to be done in a manner which will not put any person at risk related to their health and safety.
The following information is provided to identify health and safety issues specific to this project:
- May be required to work alone.
- Lengthy periods of car travel often alone, and over rough terrain.
- Frequent dealings with members of the public.
- Attend, participate in and present information at community meetings, at various locations.
- Encounter complex and emotionally demanding situations.
- Periods of work outside of normal hours and away from home.
Key Selection Criteria
A contract for services will be offered to the service provider who has the required skills, knowledge and experience, and is able to demonstrate the best value for money.
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills, particularly the ability to negotiate outcomes and develop effective partnerships with a range of stakeholders including government, community groups and individuals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to write in a variety of communication styles to convey messages clearly.
- Experience in working in an agricultural or natural resource management field. Ability to undertake property inspections and provide land management advice.
- Knowledge of invasive plants, in particular serrated tussock, how to identify and control using best management practices.
- Experience with project management, including project planning, implementation, and reporting.
- Highly motivated, able to prioritise tasks and work with minimal direction.
- Experience using GPS equipment and GIS software to develop infestation maps.
- An understanding of the role of the VSTWP and the Victorian VSTWP Strategy 2018 – 2023.
Progress Reports and Instalment Payments
The service provider will be required to enter into a contract with the VSTWP. Payments will be made in three instalments upon completion of the required deliverables and reporting.
How to apply:
Quotations will be accepted until midnight on Friday 15th July 2022
Quotations will be considered by organisations wishing to deliver project services by one or more individuals. Organisations must specify each person’s role and their accountability within the quotation.
Please submit your quotations and supporting information addressing the selection criteria to:
Executive Officer, Victorian Serrated Tussock Working Party
Quotations will be assessed by the VSTWP committee. The assessment process may take up to four weeks.
Please contact the Martin for further information and project documents.
Map_Barunah Plains South Extension Area – map-barunahplainssouth-extentionarea-properties-jpg
VSTWP Extension Services SOP – vstwp-extension-services-sop-docx